Submit your comment about Natural Eye Healing at the bottom of the page
When you’ve had eye surgery, such as cataract surgery, lasik surgery, or other types of eye surgery, it’s important to initiate a plan of what you’re going to do to start recovery. This plan includes following the instructions of your eye doctor regarding the eye drops and boost your natural eye healing to speed up the recovery.
Your eye doctor or ophthalmologist will give you a set of instructions on what to do in regards to keeping your eye(s) covered, applying medication in the form of eye drops, or keeping your head elevated. These are great and important to follow.
But what will you do about your nutrition during the recovery time? You must include good nutrition to speed up natural eye healing as part of your recovery for several reasons:
1. Good nutrition will speed up recovery.
2. Good nutrition will make you feel better.
3. Good nutrition can decrease inflammation.
4. Good nutrition is essential to the healing of all the parts of your eyes: the retina, conjunctiva, the cornea and all the connective tissues of the eyes.
What will you do to use nutrition for this purpose? How will you do it? Does it include vitamins and minerals? Does it include foods? These are all good questions on the topic.
There are several ways to boost your natural eye healing for recovery from eye surgery. Here’s a list of some of the top guidelines:
1. Don’t take any supplements for the first three days after eye surgery. This will allow your eye to start the repair process on its own. As your eye is repairing itself, it will form new blood vessels to nourish the eyes. It’s important that these new blood vessels are formed without taking new supplements. Some supplements such as vitamin E and Omega 3 Fatty Acids may potentially interfere with the new blood vessel formation, but after three days, they are fine to take at low to normal dosages (400 IU vitamin E, 2000 mg omega 3).
2. Your supplement list should contain vitamin C. The eyes are rich in vitamin C and they need it to speed up natural eye healing. However, if ascorbic acid is taken without bioflavonoids, the new capillaries that are forming can easily burst. Your vitamin C must have bioflavonoids along with the ascorbic acid. A good dosage may be 1000 mg twice daily; but if you’re already taking that amount, then you can double what you are taking.
3. When you commit to take vitamin C, you must take it on schedule. If you miss a dose, your body can easily go into scurvy levels and the new capillaries you formed already may burst. So if you start at 2000 mg daily, make sure each day you take 2000 mg no matter what happens during the day.
4. Take your multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. Doubling your intake of all the vitamins and minerals for a 10–day period of time is a boon to anyone who has had surgery of any kind. Surgery increases the need for all the vitamins and minerals, which are depleted during the stress of surgery.
5. Besides vitamins and minerals, you can address your food intake. Add more fruits and vegetables. Aim for 4 fruits daily, preferably cantaloupe, orange, berries, and purple grapes or grape juice (one of the highest sources of antioxidants). One serving of each of these goes far during your recovery from eye surgery.
6. Aim for 5 to 8 servings of vegetables per day. This is easier than you think. Create an omelette with onions, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes and plenty of tomato salsa on top for breakfast. This will give you 3-4 servings of vegetables. For lunch or dinner eat a large spinach salad with a few leaves of kale, ½ cup beans or lentils, orange sections, a handful of walnuts, pea pods, and broccoli or cauliflower. This will give you another 3-4 servings. Then you’re set for the day.
You could also make vegetable smoothies for your eye surgery nutrition. This would be a big help if you can’t seem to get up early enough for breakfast. Some people combine Brussels sprouts with berries and milk or almond milk for a tasty combination. You’ll have to experiment on your own to get the right flavor.
Your eye surgery recovery plan should continue for a minimum of 10 days. When you have your follow-up visit, expect to hear good news from your eye doctor, saying that you are healing faster than what he expected! Just attribute it to your eye surgery nutrition plan!
Do you have some questions you would like answered about Natural Eye Healing. Or maybe you'd like to share your story about Natural Eye Healing.
Then here is the place to do it. Simply complete the form below and you can either ask us a question or share your experiences.